Skip to content
Home » Blog » Non Lucrative Visa » Non-Lucrative Visa

Non-Lucrative Visa

This is an article about what you need to present and how to apply for a Spanish Non-Lucrative Visa. We are an Independent Spanish Insurance Broker and we specialise in health insurance for non-lucrative visas. We would be delighted to answer your questions related to health insurance for non-lucrative visas. Feel free to call us or send an email or click the link in the previous sentence to find out much more information.

We are not immigration specialists, although we know several businesses who are. Whilst we clearly have some on immigration and non-lucrative visas the information below is just a guide. Our speciality is health insurance. Our recommendation is you employ the services of a professional immigration/visa application business.


What is a non-lucrative visa?

A non-lucrative visa is a visa which allows non-EU residents to stay long-term in Spain. Initially, for 12 months it enables you to stay full-time in Spain but without the right to work. You will have to meet various criteria to obtain the visa which includes having the financial means to fund your stay.

Do I have to renew the visa?

Yes, the Spanish non-lucrative visa is renewed after the initial 12 months. The renewal period is for a further 2 years. Towards the end of year three, you can apply for a further two-year extension taking you to five years in total. After that, you can apply for permanent residency in Spain.

How do I apply for the Spanish non-lucrative visa?

You apply through the relevant Spanish consulate in the country where you are living. Some countries have several Spanish Consulates so you will need to find out which consulate covers the part of the country where you live. You do not usually have a choice of which consulate you can go to.

What do I need to do to apply for a Spanish non-lucrative visa?

Note: Different consulates around the world and including within the same country will interpret the rules in their own way. Below is a guide only for what is needed. We strongly recommend you check with your Spanish consulate what is needed and/or employ the services of a visa specialist company.

  • A valid passport with at least one year still to run it
  • A recent passport photo
  • A completed national visa application form
  • A criminal record certificate
  • Public or private health insurance with an insurer authorised to operate in Spain
  • A medical certificate from a doctor dated within the last three months. The exact wording is available on the consulate’s websites but it needs to state you do not suffer from any diseases that may have serious repercussions for public health.
  • Proof of necessary economic means to cover the expenses of your stay in Spain. Bear in mind that with this visa you cannot work. The amount you need is 400% of the IPREM (Indicador Público de Renta de Efectos Multiples) and 100% for each dependent. This is an index in Spain used as a reference for calculating entitlement to grants or benefits. Your finances have to be the agreed percentage above this minimum limit.
  • A completed 790 – 052 form which you submit when applying for the visa along with the payment of the associated tax
  • Completed Ex-01 form which is the name of the non-lucrative visa application form.

Remember you need to translate much of the documentation you provide into Spanish and have the Apostille of the Hague.

Can I go to any Spanish Consulate?

Not usually. A particular Spanish Consulate will control applications from an area within the country where you are applying. For example, in the UK there are three consulates. You must make your application for a Spanish non-lucrative visa at the Spanish Consulate that covers where you are living. You will also have to meet their interpretation of the process.

We strongly advise that you consider employing an established professional business to help you with your non-lucrative visa application. If you don’t already have one then do ask as we know several.

Will all Spanish consulates interpret the rules and request the same paperwork?

Unfortunately, no. The different consulates will require different paperwork and the consulates interpret the information provided differently in some cases. We strongly advise that you consider employing an established professional business to help you with your visa application and/or read the instructions from your particular Spanish consulate carefully. If you need some professional visa contacts do get in touch.

With many time-sensitive documents and translations, a small error can lead to the rejection of your visa. This can lead to significant extra expenses and delay.

Where Can I find out more information on a relevant health policy?

You can find out detailed information on our dedicated page for Spanish health insurance for a non-lucrative visa. If you are ready to request a quotation for the insurance, then please visit our health insurance quote page.

Can you put me in touch with a professional company to help me with my visa application?

Of course. We work with many companies that introduce clients to us for private health insurance. As a result, we have a network of well-established businesses that specialise in helping clients and their families obtain a Spanish non-lucrative visa. Whether you use the company or not is your decision. We would be delighted to assist with the health insurance regardless.

You agree to receive email communication and/or a telephone call from us by submitting this form and understand that your contact information will be stored with us.