Skip to content
Home » Blog » Motorbike insurance » Motorbike licence in Spain

Motorbike licence in Spain

The exams to obtain the different types of motorbike licence in Spain are as follows:

  1. AM licence: This licence enables you to drive mopeds and light quadricycles. The common theoretical exam and a closed-circuit practical test are required. Additionally, you will need to pass a psychotechnical test. Once you have passed you can ride a motorbike/scooter up to 50cc. The minimum age for this licence is 15 years old.
  2. A1 licence: Allows you to drive motorcycles up to 125cc and tricycles with a maximum power of 15kW. The common theoretical exam is necessary, and the practical exam includes a closed circuit test and another on open roads. Plus, you will need to pass a psychotechnical test. You must be a minimum of 16 years of age to take the test. Additionally, those people who have held a car licence (category B) for more than three years can also drive a motorbike or scooter that falls into category A1.
  3. A2 licence: Allows you to drive motorcycles with a maximum power of 35kW and a power/weight ratio of 0.2 kW/kg and not derived from a vehicle with more than double its power. This means that if you have a motorbike with 94 horsepower you could have it restricted to meet the limit of an A2 licence. You need to pass a psychotechnical test, the common theoretical exam, as well as perform practical tests in closed circuits and on open roads. You must be 18 years or older to take this test.
  4. Licence A: Entitles you to drive motorcycles of any displacement. You must be at least 20 years of age and have a minimum of two years experience with an A2 licence first. One exception is if you want to ride a trike where you must be at least 21 years of age. The course consists of 9 hours of theory and practice with a driving school.

It is important to check updated regulations regarding a motorbike licence in Spain and specific requirements, as regulations may change.